Re: FC3 DMA problems on Dell GX110

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:26:19 -0600, Kerry Miller <kmiller01@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried to install FC3 on a Dell GX110 (P3-900, i810 video), but when it
tried to boot the kernel (when installing from the cd) it gave a kernel
panic.  It did the same thing under FC2, we got it to install by using the
ide=nodma switch.  When we do that, the computer is a real dog, very
slow.  I put Red Hat 9 back on it last night just for grins and it runs
perfectly, plenty fast.

Is there a way to make FC3 work properly without turning off the DMA?  I
didn't have to do it with RH9, but with FC2 or FC3 I have to turn it off
and it's so slow it's unusable.  Is there any way around this?

I tried and fixed the Assort Error after deleted all old partitions
and then install the FC3 without turn off the DMA because I also feel
very slow and spend double in time when turn the DMA off.

Ringo

Quite often you only have to use the nodma option to get the system to INSTALL. Afterwards you could probably turn DMA on again.

I've found it's usually crappy no-brand CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives that need the option while installing.

Regards,
Ed.