Re: Mr. Day

> On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 16:03 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Matthew Wood wrote:
> >
> > > I am very new to linux, in fact i have only used it for about 2
> > > hours before i wrote this email. i cannot write anything to the
> > > following directory /user/local/lib. I need to be able to, so
> that
> > > an install MPlayer. How can i resolve this.

welcome

> > a couple of observations:
> >
> > 1) it's "/usr/local/lib".  you won't be taken particularly seriously
> > if you can't spell the names of standard system directories.
> >
> > 2) you really should put in considerably more time reading an intro
> > book on linux before you start asking questions here.  if you don't
> > even understand the concept of the root account and superuser
> > privileges, frankly, i don't think you're ready for linux yet.
>
> "frankly, i don't think you're ready for linux yet"
>
> And who put Mr. Day in charge?  You should have used I not i, but I
> guess you are a small person anyway.  ...
> After reading posts like the one from Mr. Day, and getting a few
> myself,
> I vowed never to subscribe to another list.
>
> I gave in 6 years later and tried this one, and was pleasantly
> surprised.

yes I understand your feelings. user lists are often not as polite as
we'd like.

Have you ever had an abusive boss you couldn't escape from?  HR would
counsel you to focus on the technical aspects of your boss's comments
and forget the bullying/rudeness that accompanies it.

Mr. Day made two good suggestions.  Read a book and figure out the
differences in Super and regular users.

Well you now have a pointer in the right direction.  Ok other parts of
the comments were a little over the top.  Just look past that as a
survival technique -- use what is helpful on the list and ignore the
rest.
--
Shawn <javajunkie@xxxxxxxxxx>