Re: FC3: kernel panic on first boot

On 12/2/2004 12:41 PM Robin Bowes wrote:

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Do, den 02.12.2004 schrieb Robin Bowes um 15:50:

However, there is a modprobe.conf.dist file which has 165 lines. Should I copy this to modprobe.conf?

R.

No, please don't copy the modprobe.conf.dist file content over to the modprobe.conf. That file should only contain module instructions for the hardware you really have.

What certainly is missing is the alias entry for your ethernet card. Or
don't you have one in that host? If you have audio there should be
entries for that too.

Yes, I have an ethernet card. No audio though (at least I've never configured it) - it's a server.

There is a file modprobe.conf.anacbak in /etc/ which contains:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_promise
alias eth0 natsemi

I've copied this to modprobe.conf.

If what Fred says is correct then this won't fix my problem. I need a kernel with the ext3 filesystem built in.

Try building a new initrd file with your driver before you give up. If you can boot from your rescue CD, you should have everything you need. My problem (and I only have one processor) was that the initrd file that was built during the upgrade didn't have sata_via (sata_promise in your case).