Re: Is Fedora Core slower than RH 9 ?

In message <41AE2AF8.2030604@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>you write:
>I Ran Test application using FB 1.5 and D5 Client Appplication
>The longest Procedure in that application was test Case
>It took 15 Min on RH 9.
>
>On same M/C I installed FC3 and same application setup was  done.
>same Test procedure was run on new config,
>It took 55/60 Mins.

While not quite the same comparison, I upgraded a RH 7.2 machine
and found that overall the amount of memory required for an idle
system with a gnome desktop open, increased by a factor of 4!
My aging laptop had 77M of ram and 200M of swap space.  It ran
well (well ok limped along) on RH 7.2 with the default gnome desktop
with 2 xterms using about 77M of ram.  With FC3, it required not
only the ram but all swap space and as things were running they would
randomly die as they ran out of swap space.

FC3 release notes say to have at least 192MB (recommended 256Mb) of ram when
running X.  It's needed.

It sounds like the 15Min to 60Min slow down is primarily because your app
no longer fits in RAM.

Here's some data - I was amazed at how large applications have grown.
I used to think X was big. Now it's small compared to nautilus, gnome-term
and others.
In the table below, all sizes are in Mb - and taken right after initial envoke,
not considering growth over time.  The two numbers are total virtual size
and shared size.
                    7.2       FC1      FC3
gimp                8/4       17/4     32/14 (FC3 switches to 2.0)
gnome-term          4/3       12/8     46/27
nautilus                               38/19
X                   15/2      21/4     25/14
gnome-panel         6/4       11/8     23/17
rhn-applet-gui      -         15/9     34/23
gnome-session       4/3       9/6      23/17
gdmgreeter                    10/7     40
xterm               2/1.5     3/2      10/6

steve