Re: /home/users as new mount

On Thursday 02 December 2004 00:54, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> I've always used find and cpio to copy large directory trees:
>
> $ cd <src>
> $ find . -depth -print | cpio -pdmv <dest>
>
> filling in the appropriate pathnames for <src> and <dest>.

and asI'm easily confused, and learned tar first I
tar clC <wherever> | tar xpC <wherever>

and if I have buffer installed I insert that into the line
tar .. | buffer -p 75 | tar ...

and if source and destination are on different computers, one or both tars can
be prefixed with an ssh command.

Depending on circumstances you may wish to use compression too.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield