Re: Configure initial wallpapers - packaging error ?

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:05:54 -0600, Kevin Freeman <kfreem02@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> $ rpm -ql desktop-backgrounds-basic|grep xml
> /usr/share/gnome-wallpaper-properties/desktop-backgrounds-basic.xml
>
> $ rpm -ql desktop-backgrounds-extra|grep xml
> (nothing)
>
> Explains why the "extras" backgrounds have to be added via the Add
> Wallpaper button of Desktop Background Preferences.

Even the "basic" set contains many images (or more precisely tiles)
that are not listed in it's XML file.

My guess is that the packagers wanted the default selection set to be
somewhat small to keep it simple for the user.  I do agree though that
there are a few images in the extra set which are good enough and of
general interest to perhaps be listed in an XML file.  Of course you
don't want everything....should the dozens and dozens of space photos
be listed on the default set?

What I'm interested in myself is how to submit new original
copyright-free images.  Of course I only want the best and
broadest-interest photos/artwork (and hence I want the packagers to be
very picky), but I would like to see some expansion on the default set
(but not out of control either).  I've always laughed at Windows
selling it's separate Plus! software for an outrageous amount of money
just to get a couple mildly-interesting themes.  Surely the Linux folk
can do much better, and all for free.  Perhaps this is a subject for
the Fedora Extras?

--
Deron Meranda