Re: VMWare v4.5 & FC3

Am Mittwoch, den 01.12.2004, 09:20 -0500 schrieb Lotsa Cabo:
> Okay, what gives?  I just installed FC3 into VMWare v4.5 on an XP host.
> Man, is it SLOOOOOOOOOW!  It took almost 45 minutes just to boot.  My
> configuration is as follows:
>
>     PIII 1.2 GHz
>     WinXP Pro SP2
>     512MB with 256MB dedicated to the virtual machine
>     VM hard drive image is 5GB (all allocated)
>     VM hard drive image is on a partition by itself
>
> Can someone please explain to me why this is happening and how to get it up
> to a livable speed.

See
http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1420

This fixed it for me:

In standard 2.6 kernels, the timer interrupt rate is fixed at kernel
compile time and cannot be changed by command line parameters. You can,
however, recompile your kernel with a lower timer interrupt rate. See
the documentation for your Linux distribution for detailed instructions
on how to build and run a custom kernel. Before recompiling the guest
kernel, locate the following line in /usr/src/linux-2.6/include/asm-
i386/param.h:
    #define HZ 1000
Change the value of HZ to 100:
    #define HZ 100