Unexpected login/nsswitch.conf behavior.

I'm using Kerberos 5 for authentication and LDAP to provide account/host
information.Kerberos and LDAP are served from the same system. The server
and my client(s) are both FC1. My nsswitch.conf file has "files" listed
first, followed by "ldap" for all services provided by LDAP:

passwd:	files ldap
shadow:	files ldap
group:		files ldap
hosts:		files ldap dns

I would expect this to allow me to login as root on a system that has lost
connectivity with the LDAP/Kerberos server, since root's account information
is in local files.  However, if my workstations loose communication with the
LDAP/Kerberos server, I can't login at all, not even as root. After I type
in the root username, The system appears to hang, but I eventually will get
a "Login timeout" error. I've tested this my unplugging my ethernet cable
and trying to login as root.

My /etc/pam.d/system-auth file looks at pam_unix.so before pam_krb5.so, and
was generated using authconfig.  I just added the debug arguments to help
track down this problem:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so debug
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
debug
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_krb5.so use_first_pass
debug
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so debug

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so debug
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore service_err=ignore
syste
m_err=ignore] /lib/security/$ISA/pam_krb5.so debug

password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
debug
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok
md5
shadow debug
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_krb5.so use_authtok debug
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so debug

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so debug
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so debug
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_krb5.so debug

Any ideas?

Prentice

 The contents of this communication are intended only for the addressee and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this communication that do not relate to the official
business of my company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.