Adding printers to CUPS configuration

I've got a Samsung ML-1710 printer that I've run under Fedora Core 1 and want to run under Fedora Core 3. The Samsung software is supposed to work with CUPS, but after installing it, the cups init script fails because printconf-backend fails. printconf-backend fails because /usr/sbin/alternatives --display print returns something that printconf-backend doesn't expect. This much has been noted has been noted in bugzilla, at which point Tim Waugh, apparently the Red Hat CUPS guy, threw up his hands.

It appears that the above chain of errors happens because Samsung adds a version of lpr in /usr/local/linuxprinting/bin and puts a link to this version in the normal place. OK. Rather than use the Samsung installer, I wonder if I can install the Samsung drivers into the existing CUPS installation.

Can someone tell me how to add the Samsung printer drivers to the CUPS configuation? I have the .ppd files and filters from the Samsung installation. From the very little I've been able to figure out in the last two nights, it appears I need to get knowledge of the ppd files into the /etc/ppds.dat file. I haven't found an explanation on how. Is there a how-to that I haven't turned up with Google?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson