Re: is it good to be uptodate before you upgrade to fc3

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:54:48AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 02:15, Ed Wilts wrote:
> > If you can, up2date first since the upgrade may rely on packages being
> > current at least as at the time FC3 came out.
>
> Why might that be so? seems to me an unreasonable assumption.

I suspect the FC3 upgrade was tested on an unpatched FC2 install and on
a fully up-to-date FC2 install.  I would be surprised if Red Hat did any
testing with some packages up to date and some not.

Almost all of the errata I remember reading state that the assumption is
that all previous errata have been applied.

It's better to be a live chicken than a dead duck.  Upgrades are tough
enough without bending the rules.

You may find that it all works for you, but then you may not.  And you
may never know why, or you'll wonder why you didn't listen to me :-)

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA