RE: OT: fighting rbl's

fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Die, 2004-11-30 at 23:34 +0800, HaJo Schatz wrote:
>
> Chello is one of the better providers here and assigns all of their
> customers an IP that usually remains unchanged for many years.

How are you defining 'best'?  My personal experience with Chello differs...

>> And chello.at seems not to be liked by BLs, probably because
>> they have outgoing SMTP open and hence nurture spammers.
>
> Show me any provider who has more than 228,000 customers and has no
> history of spammers. Nurturing them would mean to tolerate spamming
> and to my best knowledge chello has never done this.

My experience differs, as I mentioned.  With 228,000 customers, it's how
they *respond* to spam which shows how they nurture it.  If they keep their
system wide open, and block users only after they spam, they nurture spam
because they're allowing "one free bite" of the pie.  This also leads to
"whack-a-mole" activities, where someone gets a throwaway account, spams
until they lose it, and then establishes another account at the same
provider (meanwhile, the drop box, web page, whatever is on another
provider).

 -Don