Re: NTP won't update

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:16:52 -0600, Nathaniel Hall <halln@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to get ntp running on a couple of Fedora Core 3 machines.
> It seems that ntpd is running, however when I stop the ntpd service and
> try to run ntpdate, it does nothing.
>
> I have configured ntp on multiple Fedora Core 3 systems, but cannot get
> it to run correctly on two of them.  NTP was installed when the system
> was installed and I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the rpm with
> the same result.
>
> Has anybody had the same problem or have any ideas?

What commands are you executing?

What does your /etc/ntp.conf config file look like?  Note that just
adding servers lines to the default config file doesn't work, you also
need to loosen the security to let that site send you time updates.

and also firewall config, though if 'ntpdate pool.ntp.org' works, then
ntpd should (though you can only run one or the other)  There is a
flag that'll let you bind to a different port and run ntpdate even if
ntpd is running, though.

   - Kevin