OT apache question

Sorry to be slightly off topic, however, i am trying to come up with a
good/efficient redirect in apache to basically take ALL requests to the
webserver and redirect them all to /index.html - except of
course /index.html requests themselves. I have been able to get
RewriteRule ^.+$  http://www.domain.name/index.html  [R]
to work however that also matches /index.html. And yes, i have read and
am presently reading the apache org rewrite guide  :)

I know this isnt rocket science but the answer is not striking me in the
face - obviously a lack of caffeine this morning. Does any one on the
list have an answer?

Thanks in advance
Michael Weiner