Re: Soundcard [SOLVED]

On Monday 29 November 2004 12:33 pm, Ben Arnold wrote:
> >I missed something in your above earlier. You state this is an ISA card.
> >IIRC system-config-soundcard looks for PCI devices only and kudzu has
> >problems as well.
> >
> >My recommendation -- spend the $10 to $200 (depending on the card you
> >choose) and get a NEW easily supported sound card.  I have used many
> >different versions of the creative cards and they have all been a simple
> >plug and play install.  Kudzu installs and configures them for you.

I had problems with getting sound on my Armada 7800 laptop (ESS18xx chipset)
configured.  system-config-sound would not see it, and kudzu would do nothing
with it.  After some searching, I found references to 'alsaconf'.  It seemed
that it should be part of the alsa-utils sources, but was not installed on my
system with the alsa-utils.rpm.  Looking into the .srpm, I saw that alsaconf
is build, and then deleted!  "Fixing" the script, I rebuilt alsa-utils,
installed the rpm, and ran alsaconf.  Ran it on two systems on which the
sound had gone missing (one an upgrade from FC1, where the sound worked; and
one a fresh install FC2, then FC3, which never had sound).

If your having trouble installing sound, I would give alsaconf a shot first.