Re: Fedora Extras is extra

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

<snip>
I personally think it comes down to how you prioritize certain aspects
of the issue at hand relative to each other. In essense there are two
long term competing world views. Not 3 months from now... not 6 months
from now... think fc6 time schedule. Do you want to see as much
centralized system into one (or two) repository as possible. Or do you
want to see a several competing repositories each with overlap sets of
packages as the long term solution?  Each has its strengths and
weaknesses depending on what solution you are trying to solve.

Fedora Core 6 will only be a year from now, not mush of a stretch from six months. I think that you should keep that in mind as you throw around that number.

And the repositories don't all compete with each other. That's only how Fedora Extras sees it, because THEY are the newcomers trying to compete with all of the other repositories. A lot of the non-Fedora-Extras repositories are interoperable now because the individual maintainers have been working together on that. That has been emphasized several times already on and off of this thread. I think that it was either Axel or Dag that said that the repository world has been broken down now into only two camps, not 4, not 3, only two: Fedora.us, and non-Fedora.us.

I personally think moving to as much centralization provides a more
interesting Fedora Project. I like the idea Micheal Tiemann of Red Hat
has express about "Fedora Collections" where in the future once Core
and Extras exist in the same build environment you think about opening
up the space and having targetted media sets besides just Core, put
together from core and extras. I'm also concerned about relying on
system made of nearly individual packagers maintaining their own
individual repositories and build systems. I'm concerned about what
happens if one those individuals can no longer provide packages any
longer. Since there is no integrated build system between individual
repositories, it might be a significant amount of time for a volunteer
to duplicate the build system that repository was using if it goes
dark due to an individual maintainers.

Probably that repository will merge with another well-established repository, and then that individual will pick up the packaging with their pre-existing build system. I'm not worried about that happening anytime soon with Planet CCRMA, my main repository, because Fernando gets paid by Stanford University to maintain it, and if he leaves they'll probably hire somebody else in his stead.

If an individual maintainer
can no longer package in a centralized build system... a volunteer
does not need to try to duplicate any of the build infrastructure to
come forward and maintain the packages that were orphaned.

A volunteer would still have to come forward to keep maintaining that particular package however. I'm sure that far from all of the packages will be popular to maintain.

I have several other reasons why I personally prefer a long term
centralized solution, but i would have to say those are my two primary
reasons.  And i think its important that we all take a moment and
think about long term priorities and constraints, instead of getting
caught up in the day to day, back and forth debate. Without taking
anything away from those people who volunteered their efforts to
create large repositories of packages for the general public to use,
in the guideline vacuum Red Hat created for add-on packages through
the entire RHL period.. i think the long term health of Fedora is best
served with as much centralization of package build process as
possible moving forward.

I don't completely disagree with that. I just think that their should be some centralization, mainly libraries, and also programs that are useful mainly because a lot of other programs use them. These would be packages that would not be relevant to Core but would be relevant to programs outside of core. And leave open some "third-party" communication. That will increase interoperability immensely, while still leaving some spice in the world. It will also leave the door open for people who actually want to write software for Fedora Core commercially (especially companies that write software that people want but nobody else wants to program) to interact with the Fedora Extras community, making it even bigger, brighter and more interesting... gosh, imagine that!

----
Peace,
William