Re: Contributing code to open-source in EU?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, VJ wrote:

> Hi,
>    I came to know that a legislation in EU says that all my work
> (even the one that I develop at home, in my free time) is owned by
> my company. What do I have to do in case I have something to
> contribute and I developed it in my free time at home.

are you sure about *all* of your work being owned by your company?
that seems like a rather unreasonable restriction, unless you
explicitly signed such an agreement when you were hired.  that sounds
like the kind of thing that companies *like* to say even when it's
unenforceable.

in any case, if your company has no objections to you GPLing some
off-hours work you've done, then read:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

toward the bottom, where it states:

====
You should also get your employer (if you work as a programmer) or
your school, if any, to sign a "copyright disclaimer" for the program,
if necessary. Here is a sample; alter the names:

Yoyodyne, Inc., hereby disclaims all copyright interest in the program
`Gnomovision' (which makes passes at compilers) written by James
Hacker.

signature of Ty Coon, 1 April 1989
Ty Coon, President of Vice
=====