Re: FC3: Gnome desktop seems to have disappeared

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 23:45 -0800, Dave Roberts wrote:
> I logged in today and have had my Gnome desktop disappear. What I mean
> by this is that while my panel, etc., seem to be in place, there doesn't
> seem to be a desktop. I see no icons for the typical My Computer, Trash,
> etc. I don't seem to be able to right-click on the desktop background.
> At first, I didn't seem to have any wallpaper. Going into the
> Preferences -> Desktop Background seems to have restored that, however.
>
> This is running stock FC3 with all standard Yum updates applied. I'm not
> running SELinux and I upgraded my system from FC1 (not FC2) by
> reformatting my root partition and re-mounting a separate home partition
> (standard install, not just an RPM upgrade), thus my Gnome config was
> upgraded from FC1.

Whoa! That was very weird. No sooner had I sent the message above when I
selected "Network Servers" in the applications menu and that seemed to
kick of a Nautilus session which restored everything as I would
expected. I have no idea why. Obviously, there is a bug in here
somewhere, but I have no idea how I would even write it up.

Has anybody else seen this?

--
Dave Roberts <ldave@xxxxxxxxxxxx>