Re: DVD Player

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> > RedHat cannot include a DVD player without violating the DMCA, get
> > mplayer or xine from somewhere else.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> Thanks to everyone for their responses.  Looks like the xine website is down right
> now, and mplayer was not updated for FC3.  I think I'll wait bit before I proceed.
>
> What is DMCA anyway?

"Digital Millenium Copyright Act".

It is the law that says that any electronic copy protection, no matter how
stupid or ineffective or restrictive, cannot be removed by the user under
penalty of law. (The "Matress Tag" law of the 21st century.)

Anything electronic you "buy" now is not really bought.  It is rented from
the owner under terms that only benefit the owner.  They can discontinue
your "ownership" of the product at any given time and they owe you nothing
in return.  And you can't do a damned thing about it.

There have been a lot of cries to "just change the lawmakers".  The last
election showed just how much chance their is of that in the US.

"You keep using the word 'Freedom'. I don't think it means what you think
it means."

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.