Re: Fedora and Moneydance install Question

Terry R. Grier wrote:

* These are the instructions on how to install moneydance. there are no YUMs for it.
I need/want this program to work with Fedora 3.
I have followed this to the letter. and the files are in the folder.
But at the comand line when I type moneydance I get 'bash: moneydance: command not found'
*

*I am just wasting my time here?  .... or am I missing a step?
or ... are these instructions... no good? ....
*

*the program runs in Java. I followed the instruction on fedorafaq.org and installed java first.*

*www.moneydance.com
*

*If this will not work... what program to people use for personal finances? I truly enjoyed using this program.

*

Once you have downloaded the appropriate package, untar the file into a directory on your system like so:

 %> gunzip moneydance_*.tar.gz
 %> tar xf moneydance_*.tar -C /usr/local

This will create the /usr/local/moneydance directory. We use /usr/local as an example, Moneydance can be installed in any location.

** /Please skip this step if you are not installing the "Other" package. / If you downloaded the "Other" package above, you will need to create a symbolic link named "jre" in the /usr/local/moneydance directory that points to the location of Java on your system. For example, if your java executable is at /usr/j2se/bin/java then you should create the link like so:

 %> cd /usr/local/moneydance
 %> ln -s /usr/j2se jre

** You can now run Moneydance by executing the 'moneydance' script in the new directory.

 %> /usr/local/moneydance/moneydance

To make starting Moneydance from the command line easier, you can create a symbolic link in your path that points to the moneydance startup script:

%> cd /usr/local/bin

%> ln -s /usr/local/moneydance/moneydance moneydance

For your convenience we have provided a moneydance.xpm file that can be used with a desktop icon for launching Moneydance from a GUI such as KDE or GNOME.

Terry,
   Is /usr/local/bin on your $PATH

david