Re: Fedora Extras is extra

Dag Wieers wrote:

<snip>
Apt allows this by use of pinning packages/repositories (a feature that Yum does not have either) although the configuration if Apt's pinning functionality is a major disaster and should be part of a developer's hall of shame all by itself :)

I've used APT to upgrade packages, and I've read about this "pinning" feature before; what is this "pinning"?

BTW the core packages that are replaced (at least from the RPMforge project, FreshRPMS, Dries, Dag and PlanetCCRMA) are minor, only for leaf-packages (not libraries) and if there's a real need. My website has a Rationale attached to each of these packages.

I just got told about this Fedora Alternatives subproject; sounds like the same stuff only it probably won't work as good as FreshRPMS, et al.
Seriously, the replacement packages that I have used never break compatibility with Fedora Core programs. They are usually adding something to that package's features rather than taking or breaking away.

----
Peace,
William