Re: Emulators...

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 19:18 +1100, Mark Knights wrote:
> OK - I have looked through as best as I can.  I am running Fedora Core 2
> and I remember in loading the system that it said it has emulators for
> Winblows and also for the Amiga.
>
> I tried wine and winex to no success - can somebody point me in the
> right direction for both of these emulators?

Well, Wine is not an emulator, per the Wine FAQ:

        2.2. Does Wine emulate a full computer?

        No, as the name says, Wine Is Not a (CPU) Emulator. Wine just
        provides the Windows API. This means that you will need an x86-
        compatible processor to run an x86 Windows application, for
        instance from Intel or AMD. The advantage is that, unlike
        solutions that rely on CPU emulation, Wine runs applications at
        full speed. Sometimes a program run under Wine will be slower
        than when run on a copy of Microsoft Windows, but this is more
        due to the fact that Microsoft has heavily optimized parts of
        their code, whereas mostly Wine is not well optimized (yet).
        Occasionally, an app may run faster under Wine than on Windows.
        Most apps run at roughly the same speed.

Most of the M$ apps I need work nicely with Crossover Office (Wine-
based, commercial but not too expensive): http://www.codeweavers.com/

Might want to check out QEMU (Dag has a package) and/or the links to
other free/non-free alternatives on their page:

  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

Phil