Re: Very odd: 30 seconds after FC3 boots, d-link firewall locks up & needs reset!

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 19:06 -0600, Randy wrote:
> Hello,
>     I've been noticing something VERY strange with my d-link firewall and
> FC3.  Whenever I reboot an FC3 server, about 30 seconds to one minute after
> the server has come to the 'log on' screen, the firewall begins to send out
> massive amounts of broadcasts to my entire home network, bringing
> everything to a standstill.  The firewall floods my entire 100Mbps network
> with enough broadcast traffic that almost no packets can get anywhere.
>
>     This is a standard FC3 install to an empty disc, not an upgrade.
>
>     The firewall is a d-link di-804hv with firmware version 1.4 (the most
> recent).  VPN services are turned off (VPN passthru is on).  universal plug
> & play is turned off.  The firewall has a fixed address on the internal
> network.  It doesn't need to access any internal servers for anything.
>
>     Has anyone seen anything like this?  The first time it happened, I
> thought someone had hacked my firewall, so I re-flashed it and
> re-configured it.  But now I've noticed that EVERY time I reboot an FC3
> server, I can expect this to happen.
>
> Randy

It could be that your router is buggy. Is ecn enabled? From the terminal
try:

$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

If this returns 1, try turning it off with:

# echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

I *think* that's only temporary.  If that doesn't survive a reboot.
edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the line

net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0

and run

# sysctl -p