Re: Recent Fedora Core kernels (plus my SPEC file for 2.6.8-1.541 with Athlon support)

On 11/28/2004 02:42:41 PM, William M. Quarles wrote:

B. Red Hat developers were saying before that we need more optimization for the Pentium 4 because it is obviously not running as well on i686 optimizations as it could. However, I have yet to see a Pentium 4 optimized Fedora Core kernel come out. Perhaps they're busy debating about whether to call it pentium4 or i786.

Wouldn't glibc be where you would get the most benefits from optimization anyway? I'm not convinced you would gain a lot from a kernel.

btw - a generic kernel can be a real lifesaver. Your cpu or mobo fries, you can put the hard disk in another machine and boot it - kudzu will (theoretically, and in my experience it worked) take care of everything for you as far as change in chiset/nics/whatever, but the kernel has to be able to boot the box before kudzu can run :)