Re: MP3 Players

"Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On 11/26/2004 01:22:21 PM, Dean Browning wrote:
>> I am new to Fedora 3, and I was surprised to see that there was no
>> mp3 player built in.
>>
>> What is the best mp3 management/player being used in Linux?  I have
>> 40GB to manage.
>
> That's a lot of mp3's - I'm sure the RIAA loves your business ;)

There's nothing illegal in having 40G of files...

> That being said - I'm a big fan of the GStreamer backend, I think it is
> the right multimedia framework for desktop linux to use. With GStreamer
> there are a couple of options - Rhythmbox ships with Fedora, but it has
> an absolutely huge footprint on your screen, and I've had it take large
> amounts of time scanning flac directories on startup (that may be
> better now, been a long time since I used rhythmbox to play flac
> files). Rhythmbox also won't play aac files. Not for me anyway.

i have it down to 32x32 pixels or something like that ;-)

first: once you've done managing your collection / playlist / station
list and are satisfied with selection / playback option you can press
F8 and you'll end up with smaller view (menu, four buttons, current
track's title) It'll still use quite large font for title (which i
don't mind).

second: it has system tray icon, if you left click on it the main
window disappears. if you right click on it you get little menu with
stop / prev / next / show-hide window commands. if your mouse pointer
simply hovers over the icon tooltip with track title appears.

Not to discourage anybody from using other players, just like you i
dislike mp3 players eating my screen ;-)