Re: Unruly On-Board Video Chip under fc3

Olaf Mueller wrote:
> does anybody know how to install a new video card (pci) on a board with
> a on-board video chip which could not be disabled by bios or jumper
> settings?
> I have a OptiPlex Gx1 450L (Bios Revision A06) board with a ATI 3D Rage
> Pro AGP 1x/2x video chip on it. Now I want to install a LCD monitor
> under this system which needs a special video card (digital, Siemens
> D964). So everything works fine under shell, but I was not able to
> start X. Also I could not configure the new video card with
> system-config-display. On starting system-config-display the screen
> turns to black and the program is searching for the on-board video
> chip although the monitor is still connected with the new pci video
> card.
> To build a working /etc/xorg.conf with this monitor and the pci video
> card on an other copmuter and copy this file to the OptiPlex system
> doesn't change anything.
>
> So, I am totaly helpless at this point. Does anybody know how to get
> this working? Has fc3 a possibility to knock out the on-board video
> chip?

Um. Good one.

***WAY*** off the wall suggestion:
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt suggests:
pci=lastbus=N       [IA-32] Scan all buses till bus #N. Can be useful
                    if the kernel is unable to find your secondary buses
                    and you want to tell it explicitly which ones they are.

Now the PCI bus is normally bus 0 and AGP bus 1. You can check this
through /proc/pci.

So what does pci=lastbus=0 at the kernel parameters do?

I'll let you know if I come up with any better ideas...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Say it with flowers, send a triffid
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |