(In)compatibility myths once again (was: kdewebdev / quanta: tidy missing?)

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 01:11:10PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Or vice versa. Easy as that.

> FWIW, I've never seen any inter-repository compatiblity problems in a
> non-overlapping package set. But I belong to those people who see
> compatibility problems due to overlapping packages.

I'm glad we agree.

http://www.fedora.us/pipermail/fedora-devel/2003-February/000210.html
writes:

> xine, mplayer, etc.
> These packages would be vital to actually attract users to the
> project.
>   More users would attract more attention, and perhaps more
> developers would join us.  Please help me convert Matthias'
> FreshRPMS to the Fedora naming scheme.

So the main cause of (yet to be proven [1]) incompatibility is the
strategical mass creation of overlapping packages by a repository that
put up as a manifesto not to care about compatibility with others (not
even the ones it cloned).

[1] The repos probably are not incompatible, but that's happenstance,
    not because there are mutual efforts in coordinating it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net