Re: I can't burn CDs anymore (was Re: how to download kde....).

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:10:33 -0700, Scott wrote:

> >It's usually a bad idea to upgrade Fedora Core packages with external
> >updates. Better keep FC3's k3b package, so you benefit from patches,
> >integration work and security/bug-fix updates.
> >

> Yeah well if Fedora would get it's act together all the "unofficial"
> repositories would have nothing to do.....

Wrong. If you look closely at what some 3rd party repositories do
(when they don't extend the available set of packages with clean
add-ons), you find that they move you closer to the bleeding edge by
doing version upgrades of Core packages. Sometimes because additional
software has stricter version requirements. Sometimes because once a
package has been included in a repository, it is updated frequently
with the latest upstream release to keep it fresh'n'bleeding. Only a
very small number of Fedora Core users, however, like numerous version
upgrades (and hence Fedora Core Updates to download) after a release
of the distribution has been declared final. Even more updates as seen
with FC3 would make the distribution a moving target and decrease
stability. That's what can be done in the Fedora Core Development
channel.

> Next FC install will be without KDE and I'll do the full KDE install
> from the kde-redhat.org packages. :-)

Well, choice can be good. But it doesn't change a thing as such an
installation moves you farther away from the testing and development
done on Fedora Core.

> >You should be able to use: -dev=/dev/cdwriter

No comment on this one? Even something like -dev=/dev/hdc should work.

> In any event both k3B and Nautilus are mysteriously burning again. So to
> heck with CD record. I'll let the GUIs do the work... :-)

Uhm... :)

--
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux 2.6.9-1.681_FC3
loadavg: 0.05 0.19 0.10