Re: Re: The current display settings File

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:33:17 -0600 (CST)
From: Satish Balay <balay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The current display settings File
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

>> Hello List,
>
>> Where is the current display selection stored?(Which file?)

>/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Here all possible modes are listed. No indication as to which one of
them is in current use.

>> or how can you find out the present X display settings
>>(resolution,depth, frequency etc.,)

>> xorg.cong / XFree86.Config files list all possible display "mode"s.
>>How to know which one of them is curently selected ?

>run 'xwininfo' and click on the background

>> Is there a command to show current settings and change that other
>> than the graphical UI?

>What's wrong with 'system-config-display'?

That's fine in Fedora. I want to solve a problem with SUSE Live CD
which fails on my SiS AGP card at home.

SUSE in installed on the same system too where it works fine. But it
doesn't when run from CD. /etc/X11/Xfree86Config (as configured by
YasT / SaX ) files in both the cases were exactly similar. I was just
curious and thinking if it could be different resolution settings ?

X fails to start (Monitor blinks).But I can ctrl-alt-f1 to console.

Both xwininfo and xrandr seem to work only within X. Is there a
command to find the same information outside of X server ?

Thanks,

Parameshwara Bhat

>You can 'toggle' between some of the valid modes (specified in
>xorg.conf - without restarting X server) with the command 'xrandr'

>Satish

Message: 6