Re: grub error 22. Bad partition table? [solved]

John DeDourek wrote:
This would agree with my investigations.  In my case, I was working
with an IBM T42 and attempting to make the machine dual bootable,
including leaving the IBM diagnostic partition bootable using
Fedora Core 2.  (I do know about the BIOS/IDE geometry issue and
used the appropriate workarounds for that.)

My first attempt was to use Partition Magic to reduce the size of
the Windows XP partition, install Linux partitions in the free space
created, install grub in the linux boot partition and make the
linux partition active.

This did not work: two possible hypotheses.  I had something
configured wrong in grub.conf.  OR.  Either the BIOS or grub
didn't like the fact that grub and/or its stage1.5 were beyond
the 2 GIG boundary.

I finally gave up, and installed grub in the MBR.  Have a
successful dual boot machine, but can not currently get the
IBM diagnostic partition to boot.

Try adding these lines to your grub.conf, assuming that your diagnostic partition is hda1:

title IBM Diagnostic Tools
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

Paul.