Re: updating a internet-less pc

On 11/24/2004 10:42:43 AM, Divided By 0 wrote:
Hi,

I have a simple question. I've set up fedora core 3 and downloaded all
updates through apt-get. Now, I want to convert my girlfriend to linux
(a noble cause) but unfortunately she doesn't have access to the
internet. Is there any way to burn all the apt-get updates into a
cdrom
and then use that to update her pc?

Currently all the updates are bigger than a CD - just barely though.
They will fit on a DVD and you can make a DVD and write a script to do the updates for her.

I'm attaching a shell script I wrote that does this, but it might have bugs, I don't have a DVD burner yet. I haven't actually tested it from a burned DVD.

Keep in mind the script assumes that the dvd has a directory called RPMS.updates on it, including the repo metadata within it.

Again - I have not tested it from a burned media, only from a iso file I made - do you might have to adjust the shell scripts to get it to work, and I have certainly not tested the autorun feature - well, I've tested it by running "sh autorun" but that's it.