Re: FC3 kernel panic

On 11/24/2004 7:08 PM calin wrote:

Hello all,

I just upgraded my system and after installing FC3, when booting I get the following message

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel audit(1101046871.4294965592:0): inititalized Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting mkrootdev: label / not found mount: error 2 mounting ext3 mount: error 2 mounting none switchroot: mount failed: 22 umount /initrd/dev failed: 2 Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I have two SATA drives, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

sda is 40GB and has 3 partitions on it:

/dev/sda1 - /boot 100M ext3
/dev/sda2 - swap 1500M
/dev/sda3 - / the rest of it which is also ext3

Trying FC2 works without any problem.

This has come up a couple times on this list (I think mine was the first). My problem was that the initrd file did not have the SATA support in it. My modprobe.conf file was missing a bunch of stuff. When I restored my modprobe.conf file and then built a new initrd file with the appropriate SATA driver, my system started working. I could boot into the system using the Rescue CD to do all of this.