Re: SpeedTouch 330 USB DSL kernel module

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Bill Somerville um 15:54:

FC2: /etc/firmware/
FC3: /lib/firmware/

This looks interesting, where did you get this info and does it tell you what the file name(s) should be?

I did a "locate firmware" on FC2 and FC3 and I googled a bit.

OK. The firmware comes from the modem manufacturer and everyones attempt at a script to get this working seems to use a different name!

http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/fc2_speedtouch_usb.html

This was also a google hit. I do not have a speedtouch modem.

Fair enough, from the weight of info out there lots of others do!

OK, but this info is about a user mode driver. Is the kernel mode driver that has turned up in 2.6.9 broken?

Can't answer that.

There seems to be many different setup scripts and how-to pages for this modem. Plus loads of questions out there.

Often enough that means that support for Linux by the manufacturer is
not the best.

Well they have links on their web site but they are out of date! Better than most though.

I now have the kernel source package and find that the config option for the SpeedTouch driver is missing even though the source is there. So I'm wondering how the speedtch.ko that ships with the 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 kernel got there!

http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/eric_brasseur/speedbundle/

This was written when FC1 was current.

One of the many bits 'n' pieces :-( My point was that the kernel driver is not in the FC2 base line but reappears somewhere between there and 2.6.9-1.6_FC2, maybe it's just a mistake and someone forgot to do a 'make clean' when they built the distro.

Bill Somerville

Certainly someone should jump to your side who has the hardware and
mastered it successfully :) Sorry for not being really helpful with
that.

Alexander

Bill Somerville