Re: Burning DVD in FC3

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 05:43, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> We want to burn the Fedora 3 DVD under FC3. However, the only program
> cited in the instructions (X-CD-Roast) says it can't find the
> DVD-writer. I saw the waeb page and they have a patch for 2.4.x kernels,
> about SCSI emulation, but I don't see anything for 2.6.x. Does anybody
> has any suggestions?

2.6 kernels don't use SCSI emulation. On Debian/Sarge
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb # for CD
growisofs -Z /dev/hdb # for DVD

On FC the first should work for both.

Long time ago, Bero (anyone here remember Bero) patched cdrecord to support
his Pioneer DVD burner and it was included in RHL 7.3 (I think) as dvdrecord.
cdrecord's author declined to accept the patches (presumably because it
impinges on his -pro version) and made some unkind, and as far as I could
tell, untrue things about Bero.

He also disagrees with the Linux Kernel developer's ideas about how the kernel
should be written and this goes to explain most of the irritating (to me)
messages that come out of cdrecord.

In contrast, growisofs "just works" with whatever device you point it at.
However, it doesn't burn CDs.

--
Cheers
John