FW: vsftp + root blank password

From: Stuart MacDonald [mailto:stuartm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> No, I'm not. I'm using the default vsftpd.conf, which has
> local_enable=yes in it.
>
> I've also been unable to figure out whether the installed vsftpd uses
> PAM or not. I assume it did, but all attempts at getting the pam
> system to produce debugging output have failed as well. The debug
> keyword doesn't have an effect on any module, and there's no output in
> messages. There's also no other logfile either.
>
> Putting pam_rootok.so in various places has no effect either.

To followup my own post: that should have been my clue, that messing
with the PAM files did nothing.

I've discovered on rechecking that xinetd was set up by default to use
the kerberosified ftpd instead of vsftpd. I changed that, and vsftpd
works first try. root with blank password is fine.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.

..Stu