Gnome 2.8 file association problem

After a clean install of Fedora Core 3 I changed the default application to open html files from Epiphany to Firefox. After doing this I no longer can open an html file by left double clicking or by right click->Open. Right click->Open With still works. When I do right click->Properties I get the file association dialog with radio buttons to change the default application (Firefox, Epiphany,Xemacs, ...) but changing the default has no effect. Also the Delete application button is greyed out in the dialog. This hasn't effected the default applications for other file types-e.g., left double-clicking a text file opens it in gedit. Where is the setting kept?

A second Gnome question. I have tried googling for help on how to associate a particular type of XML file (known by its extension) with a default application without success. Anyone know how to do this? The application is Maple 9.5, which saves its worksheets as XML files with the extension .ms.

Richard Quint
rquint@xxxxxxxxx