Re: yum vs. apt

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:29 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:24, Mark Bradford wrote:
> > I have been using apt for installs and updating/upgrading, but am
> > noticing most of the conversation here seems to favor yum.  Is there any
> > significant difference between the two, or are there any issues or
> > conflicts in using both?
>
> Both use the same rpm database so there should be no problems using
> both.  Just don't run them at the same time.
>
> The only other issue is their configuration.  If they point to different
> repositories you may see different packages listed.
>
> Other than that it is really personal choice.

Well, this is only partially correct. I'd agree, as far as normal users'
usage of these tools is concerned, but I disagree as far as advanced
usage and "corner-case" situations are concerned.

My "usual answer" to questions like this:
Beginners will prefer yum, due to its configuration simplicity,
advanced/power-users will prefer apt due to its superior flexibility and
features.

For casual users, wanting to keep their system(s) up-to-date, the
functional differences in most cases are negligible.

Ralf