Re: multiple kernels

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 12:05:58PM -0800, Nina Pham wrote:
> There are 2 kernels on my FD2 box, kernel-2.6.5-1.358 and
> kernel-2.6.8-1.521. Existing of 2 kernels on the same system would do any
> harm? How do I know which one is the one the system is really using so
> that I can delete the other one? Thanks

Type `uname -r` to find the release number of the currently running kernel.
(This number should match the version-release number of the kernel package,
by not-quite-coincidence.) You can also look at /etc/grub.conf -- that's
where the selection is actually made. Note that "default" starts counting
from zero, so "default=0" means "select the first kernel option by default".

Of course, ff the new kernel was installed recently and you haven't rebooted
since then, the running kernel and the default one may be different. (Could
also happen if you manually selected the other one at boot time.)

Having multiple kernel packages installed won't really hurt anything, since
the RPMs are carefully designed so that different versions don't conflict.
However, once you've determined that a newly-installed update works fine,
you can clear up space (and remove the chance of accidentally running the
old one, which could be a problem in the case of a security update) by
uninstalling all but the latest.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>