Re: Recommended sizes for file systems

Graham Campbell wrote:
I agree about the partitioning. The habit of splitting things into
various partitions came from large multi-user systems where it has
definite advantages. But for workstations, or other essentially single
user systems it is definitely sub-optimal. Your experience is the exact
problem - no space in one partition and space available in another but
not usable. My advice is one partition per disk unless your hardware
requires a /boot partition to guarantee the bootable images are at low
disk addresses.

One of the advantages of having separate partitions is that a runaway process that (say) generates a huge file in /tmp or /home and fills up the filesystem will not fill up the root filesystem if that is one a separate partition. Filling up the root filesystem is certainly something to be avoided if possible.

Using LVM gives most of the needed flexibility for partition resizing without losing the "safety" of the separate partitions.

Paul.