Re: reexecuting prelink

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 12:13:29PM -0500, William Lovaton wrote:
> I just checked /var/log/prelink.log and I got this messages:
>
> /usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/libgtkembedmoz.so: Could not
> find one of the dependencies
> and this ones at the end:
>
> /usr/sbin/prelink: Could not
> prelink /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/libspa645li.so because its
> dependency /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/libvcl645li.so could not be
> prelinked
> /usr/sbin/prelink: Could not
> prelink /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/spadmin.bin because its
> dependency /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/libspa645li.so could not be
> prelinked
>
> It seems that there are some large programs, like openoffice, that are
> not able to take advantage of prelink.  Is this ok? Are you seeing the
> same problems? Is there a solution?

It just means openoffice.org or firefox could not be prelinked.
The problem is that these programs use shared libraries stored in
paths that are not searched by ldconfig and lack DT_RPATH (usually
${ORIGIN} is good enough for these), so prelink is unable to find those
libraries.  Usually these programs are started by wrapper scripts
that set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
To make them prelinkable, either those dirs would need to be added
to ld.so.conf (usually by adding say /etc/ld.so.conf.d/openoffice.org.conf
or similar file to the rpm) or they would need to start using DT_RPATH,
or they'd need to move the libraries to paths that are searched by
ldconfig normally.

	Jakub