Re: Distribution method - could there be a better way?

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 00:21 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Great idea Dave, but what about the guys on dialup?  Those will still
> need the cd's from some cd peddlar just to get to square one.

Don't see any way the CD/DVD iso method will become obsolete any time
soon, for the reason you cite; however, a continuously-updated repo
following the rawhide model, but with stable packages, certainly could
help for those with moderate-to-high speed connections.

> Overall, the present method has only one achilles heel, and thats the
> problem you describe still exists and only gets worse as time goes
> for each release.  My own personal thoughts on that come down to the
> cd and dvd iso's should themselves be replaced with a .1, .2, .3, etc
> version at about 2 week intervals, the replacements haveing all the
> fixes to date.  That way, those of us that tend to wait for
> stability, and everything working, could go get a fresh set of cd's a
> month later that had the last 3 weeks worth of fixes already applied.

Has been discussed and rejected (forget if it was on test or devel list)
due to developer/QA overhead in creating the isos.  'Course this may be
a reason for rejecting the rolling-update repo as well, but seems that
would be less labor-intensive.

> This would be a huge help, doing away with what could be half a days
> worth of updates once you got it installed.

Agree.  Sounds like a possible market niche for a 3rd party CD vendor.

Phil