Re: Server Tools Don't Prompt for Root Password

Sharon Kimble wrote:

Randy Chrismon wrote:

Sorry, should have been clearer. The System Tools are the ones off the
KDE or Gnome menu -- you know, clicking on the Red Hat button. Included
are the Network Device Control, Printing Configuration, things like
that. Of course, I can start  many of them by going to su and typing the
command at the shell prompt but it was far more convenient to click on
the menu item and be prompted for the su password.
Thanks.
Randy

Network Device Control from the 'System Tools' menu does not ask for the
password, so you're essentially loading it just as a user, whereas if you
go to 'System Settings' and load 'Network' then it asks for the password
and you can use it as root.

Sharon.

You are right and I specified the wrong thing. Let me put it this way: any administrative tool off the task bar menu that would require the root user used to prompt for the root user password. Now they only throw up a message box saying insufficient rights. This behavior just happened one day and _may_ have resulted from something an apt-get dist-upgrade did. I have been totally unable to find anything in message archives or documentation that addresses this. Finally, I have a _very_ vauge recollection from about a bazillion years ago that there is a configuration file, somewhere, that listed applications that should prompt for the root password - this is something different than execution privileges file rights. I may be dreaming about this configuration file since I can't find anything about it, either. In any event, I want the "old" behavior where my administrative tools prompted me for the root password.
I very much appreciate the feedback.
Randy