Re: Shared Samba Cups Printer

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 00:52 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 20.11.2004 schrieb Chris LaForce um 0:44:
>
> >   I just recently set up a cups printer on my Fedora 2 box, shared it,
> > and then set it up in samba to be available for my windows xp machine.
> > After I set it up in windows I am able to see print jobs in the queue
> > from my linux box as well as delete them from my Xp machine; However, I
> > am unable to print from my Xp machine.  Does anyone have any
> > suggestions?
>
> > Chris.
>
> Simply print using IPP. Why the samba share if you already set it up
> with cups?

The reason I use samba printer shares for Windows boxes is that with
samba it's possible (though not easy!) to install the required Windows
printer drivers on the samba server so that a Windows user can just
"connect to printer" and the driver downloads and installs
automatically, rather than the user having to select and install the
right one manually, i.e. just like as if they were connecting to a
Windows print server.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>