Re: Distribution method - could there be a better way?

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Fletcher" <fm_maillists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Fedora List" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 7:19 PM
Subject: Distribution method - could there be a better way?

> So how about the Fedora team giving this idea some thought? Don't pack
> everything into ISO files. Create the next Fedora distribution as a
single,
> much smaller file, which could be put onto, perhaps, a USB flash memory
> device. This device, when booted, would then load up the installer as disk
1
> of FC3 does, then perform all the information gathering functions for
package
> list, language, keyboard and location, partition and format the HDD, and
> finally transfer all the gathered information to the HDD and set up a
> yum.conf file for local mirror sites based on the location provided.
>
> Then reboot the machine, which automatically downloads and installs all
the
> latest packages from the mirrors, resulting in an immediately up to date
> installation with a fraction of the download time.
>
> Does this seem like a sensible way to go?

Yes and no. I don't have a high speed connection so grabbing the isos off a
faster machine and getting them burned for me is the only way to go. If I
had to install off a server I would be forced to drop Fedora completely as
high speed internet is simply not offered in my area. thus your point of
speeding up the process would be actually a huge slow down for me.
Another point with isos I do like having some sort of backup hard media  on
hand just in case a Linux system would go down and require a reinstall for
some reason. What you are suggesting would esentually leave me without a dvd
or cd to grab and just do the install.
However, on the flip side I can see in a situation where high speed internet
is an option something like this might be ideal for someone wishing to get
the newest and freshest Fedora updates.
My opinion certainly leave the isos up there for us people wanting them to
have, but if someone wishes another method as suggested above I see no
problem with it provided I can still have the isos.