Re: How do I convert FAT32 to ext3 ?

On Friday 19 November 2004 11:29, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Friday 19 November 2004 11:22, Terry Linhardt wrote:
> > I have acquired a disk formatted as FAT32. I would like to convert it to
> > ext3. It would be appreciated if someone can give me a quick summary of
> > the steps involved (or point me to some documentation. The disk is USB,
> > and the OS does "see" it.
> >
> > Thanks...Terry
>
> USB doesn't see the device?  What fedora version? What does
> /var/log/messages show when you connect the device?
>
> Once you have resolved that issue;
> Fidsk  is what you need,  most common commands are:
>
> p = print partition map
> d = delete partition
> n = create new partition
> t = change partition type
> w = write config & exit
> q = exit w/o save

I misunderstood the USB part, started to think you had two problems.
I'm taking it that you want to trash the vfat partition.

You then need to fdisk the drive to nuke the vfat and then define a linux
partition on the drive.  After you've done that, then you do indeed to do a
mke2fs -j . The -j switch effectively makes the partiton ext3 and builds the
journal.