Re: module-init-tools removale?

On Friday 19 November 2004 20:56, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
> Has anyone received this message when performing a apt-get dist-upgrade
> on FC3?
>
> [root@cosby ~]# apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   module-init-tools
>   modutils
> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>   module-init-tools (due to kernel#2.6.9-1.667)
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 removed and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/624kB of archives.
> After unpacking 882kB of additional disk space will be used.
> You are about to do something potentially harmful
> To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
>  ?]

I've not yet used FC, but I have been using Debian for a while.

You need module-init-toolsn for your 2.6 kernel; modutils simply will not do
the job.

If you have a 2.4 kernel you can boot you should be okay, but it's something
you will need to sort out.

If you can, I recommend a backup.

If you can't do that, then make a boot image (CD?) you can use to boot from
after the "upgrade."

It looks like it might make the system unbootable, but perhaps not hard to
recover.

Alternatively, do you need this upgrade?

--
Cheers
John