Re: Root login issues

Thanks for the reply.

I looked into the IP reverse mapping. That's all setup correctly. The starnge thing is that this has been a common occurrance since redhat 7.1. I might have  thought it was just our network setup, but it's also happening in another company as well. Is there any tests I can do?

Many Thanks
Shahzad

Richard E. Robbins wrote:
Re: Root login issues

On November 18, 2004, Shahzad Chohan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is just a question about the length of time it takes to log in as
> root on some servers. Basically some of our servers run kerberos
> authentication while others do local, however in all cases the root
> password is in the shadow's file. The problem I have is that on some
> servers it takes a very log time to log into the root account. After
> typing the root password it takes more than 30 seconds before it
> eventually logs in. However, when I scp or ssh to the server as root it
> logs in fine and instantly.
>
> I'd appreciate any help if possible.
>
> Thanks
> Shahzad
> --

Is it possible that there is an issue relating to reverse mapping from IP addresses to host names?

-- Rich

This message is intended for the named recipient only and is confidential
and no other person can place any reliance upon it.

The recipient acknowledges that transmissions made via the Internet can
be corrupted and therefore Chase de Vere Financial Solutions plc does not
give any warranty as to the quality or accuracy of any information
contained in this message or assumes any liability for it or for its
transmission, reception or storage.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for
the presence of computer viruses.

Chase de Vere Financial Solutions plc is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is an independent financial adviser.
Member of the General Insurance Standards Council