Re: emacs crashes: X protocol error: BadWindow

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Satish Balay um 20:11:

I am ssh'ing into a Fedora Core 2 box (that is not up2date) from an
up2date Fedora Core 3 box and running emacs, displayed back on my FC3
box.  When I depress the left mouse button AND then move the mouse to
select some text, emacs crashes.  The terminal has the error--

[younga@mfg Test]$ emacs
X protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) on protocol request 38
[younga@mfg Test]$

Anybody seen this? What more information should I gather (and how) to
diagnose the problem?

Read the 'ssh' part of the release-notes in FC3
(file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html)

quick summary: use 'ssh -Y'

Satish

In addition the OpenSSH FAQ:

3.13 - I upgraded to OpenSSH 3.8 and some X11 programs stopped working.
As documented in the 3.8 release notes, ssh will now use untrusted X11
cookies by default. The previous behaviour can be restored by setting
ForwardX11Trusted yes in ssh_config.

Possible symptoms include:
BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)

Alexander

Thanks Satish and Alexander. That fixed it. I figured out that I needed the
-X from the release notes when I didn't even get a window. But not knowing
anything about trusted/untrusted X11 cookies I didn't think to try the -Y. I'll have
to read up.

Andrew