Re: Adaptec SCSI RAID Problems

I have both the onboard SCSI controllers and add on Adaptec 39420D-R cards, on Tyan dual Athlon MP motherboards, configured under FC2 and FC3 without any problems.

I ran into a similar thing where RH9 worked using the raidtab file and wouldn't work under FC2 & 3. I use software raid and found I needed to set the 'Linux raid detect' flag on the hard drive partitions, then configure mdadm.conf with the uuid string. Now all the raid boxes work. I even learned how to move a raid box from one machine to another and modify the superblocks to change the /dev/md? setting so I could run two RAID boxes from one server.

Bill

PS: Of course if I could have used SuSE-9.1 instead I would not have had the problems I ran into in attempting to use Fedora. (already had two of my raid boxes running on a single server with SuSE-9.1 as an experiment)  Unfortunately where I work there is a "Redhat only" rule.