Re: List etiquette question

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 19:20 -0500, Drew, Bill wrote:
> I have noticed something different on a couple of linux lists in the way
> people write replies to messages.
> The replies are always at the bottom after the quoted part of the
> earlier message.  This is no the rule on the many other lists I
> subscribe to.  I am more curious as to why this is the case.  This is
> not a complaint at all.

As someone elses signature notes:

      A: Because we read from top to bottom.
      Q: Why should you bottom post.

1)  It is much easier to follow a discussion if the comment follows the
question/earlier comment on the topic.

2)  It is common netiquette to snip out parts of the preceding post that
are not relevant to your answer/comment.

3)  Do not post in HTML to a mailing list.

All of these are in the interest of making the discussion easy to
follow, and reducing the total repeated text being mailed to many
thousands of persons on the mailing lists.

Many (if not most) of the readers of a busy mailing list use a text only
reader.  HTML is a bunch of garbage in a text reader since it displays
all the cutesy html tags as pure text and hides the actual content of
the message (as well as bloating the total message size by sometimes as
much as 3 or 4 times).

It is nice to participate in a list where (most of) the users are
courteous to others and keep the unnecessary bloat to a minimum.

Welcome
Jeff