ssh viewing mana pages, newb question

Excuse the newb question, but this is irritating:

I'm connecting to a Fedora Core 3 box via SSH with Linux terminal emulation turned on, and while directory colors show up, etc., all nice and pretty, and vim syntax highlighting, etc., when I run the 'man' command to view help files, I see extended characters and don't know how to correct that.

For example, 'man CGI' produces the following:

               start_html(’A Simple Example’),
               h1(’A Simple Example’),
               start_form,
               "What’s your name? ",textfield(’name’),p,
               "What’s the combination?", p,
               checkbox_group(-name=>’words’,

where syntax highlighting should take place.

Any ideas on how I can correct this? Is this dependant on my SSH client (securecrt)

-id